Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Friendships

There really is something to say about the different kinds of relationships people can have in this day and age. I remember my local friends thought I was strange when I started gaming and building an online community. Sharing personal events and adding these 'online friends' to Facebook, the ones close by were skeptical, "Have you ever met them?"

For the last 5 years I've been communicating with the same group of people online. It is amazing the relationships that can build and the things that we have shared. People have shared with me their growing family, some I've met when they were single, saw pictures of their wedding and now the news they are expecting. I've had so many life events shared with me, moves, family deaths, graduation, horrible accidents, break-ups, new relationships, new jobs, everything really! When in need we all band together and help where we can, truly amazing.

I remember the days of ICQ and chat rooms (the chathouse maybe?) where it would be text and very slow loading pictures. Then voice began and you had a new level of getting to know someone. Hearing the emotion in their voice added to communication. Now video chat has arrived! Just being new to Google Hangout myself it is interesting to see my friends that I've listened to and typed to for so long. Pictures are one thing but seeing their movements, mannerisms, see them smile and laugh, watching them eat! I'm also amazed that my closest friends had no surprises for me. The way they looked on camera was exactly what I expected if not better, with those little facial expressions that make me giggle and like them more.

With all that being said I've never described my friends as 'online friends' and 'rl friends'. I do not have many local friends and the ones I did maintain over the years know very well that I am a special character and have an online persona and relationships which I work at and maintain. They are also aware of my gaming and some are even willing to game with me. However, my most recent birthday proved that there really is something special about friends that we meet online. I am not vague when it comes to letting people know what I want for my birthday or Christmas. Too many years of getting random stuff that I don't need or want and I've always felt it was a waste and would rather have nothing. So I'm always very specific. This year I had some ideas, my dream bag, a portable charger for my phone, a handmade clay mug, gift card to get my nails, someone cook me dinner and a few other small things. How many of these things did I get? Nadda, zilch, nothing. In all fairness my mother did buy me a very nice expensive blender which was a gift for Christmas and my b-day, and then some $ from my grandmother which is now going to pay bills. Birthdays are always so important to me, yet no one around here seems to care. 

Then the gift that I would have never imagined getting, not in a million years and still meant the world to me, was given to me by who? Friends I've never met in person. Without me telling them they just knew what would be important to me and how much I would appreciate it. When I had to shut down my gaming server I was heartbroken. Everyone around me knew it, whether they were local or in another country. Yet only those from far away knew and understood how special it would be to me to have it up and running again. So it just so happened the stars aligned and timing worked out that the revival of the Melon Pit arrived for my birthday, and finding out brought tears to my eyes. I shouldn't complain about material things and instead be so thankful for such wonderful supportive friends, even if I cannot give them a thank you hug just yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome, pulled at the heart-stings a bit!

Anonymous said...

I was glad to be a part of it. You are one of my special online friends.

Oxide

Unknown said...

<3