Sunday, September 23, 2012

And now...the chicken!

I tried a recipe I've always wanted to try but never willing to take on. It was amazing but oh so much work. Double Crunch Honey Garlic Chicken, found on Pinterest.

So I had chicken from M&M Meat Shops (which is horrible and salty btw) that I've been trying to find something to do with to make it taste decent. This was a great opportunity as if it doesn't work out, not like I ruined good chicken!

I cut the chicken breasts in two along the entire breast to make 2 pieces that were 1/2 inch thick. I then sifted together 1 cup flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1.5 tbsp ground ginger, 1 tbsp nutmeg, 1 tsp thyme, 2 tsp smoked paprika. 




I then made an egg wash by mixing 2 eggs and 4 tbsp of water. I filled my deep pan with about 1/2 inch grape seed oil and set on just below medium heat with a screen over it. I took each piece of chicken and dipped in the flour, then into egg wash, then into the flour again. This was not a fun job but I've never been a fan of handling raw meat. I did 3 smaller medium sized breasts and had enough flour, consider doubling the recipe if you use more or larger pieces. Once the oil was hot (I drip water in it to see if it pops) I placed 3 pieces of chicken and cooked for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Flipped them for 5 more minutes. 



Meanwhile in a medium sauce pan I made the honey garlic sauce. 2 tbsp olive oil and 3/8 tsp garlic powder (or 3 cloves garlic but I ran out!). I let this cook for a little bit and then added 1 cup honey, 1/4 Bragg seasoning (or soy sauce) and some pepper. I let this simmer for about 5 minutes and be warned it boils over very easy so keep an eye!



Once the the chicken was done I placed it on some paper towel on a plate so that I could cook the other 3 pieces. A wire rack would have been better but I didn't have time to find mine as I didn't think to dig it out in advance! When the chicken is done I dipped it in the honey sauce coating the whole piece and onto the plate. 


Served with basmati rice that was cooked with a little saffron. The extra honey sauce was decent on the rice too but the chicken was oh so good!


No comments: