Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The power of the force has stopped you, you hosers.

I was recently talking to a dear friend, who is a few years younger then myself. I mentioned the good old McKenzie brothers....and he said, "Who?" I asked him what kind of Canadian he was if he didn't know who they were! Apparently we are losing this. So here is a quick lesson.I am a proud Canadian, I have lived in this country my entire life and cannot think of anything that would make me leave. I am not political, so don't start telling me things about our government issues or bitch about our health care. I love the people, the land, the openness and just the thought. Bob and Doug McKenzie are a legacy that needs to be carried through the generations and never forgotten! These two characters were introduced in 1980 on SCTV. I have very early memories of watching SCTV and Bob and Doug's skit, The Great White North. Bob is played by Rick Moranis and Doug is Dave Thomas. Canadians loved these guys because we enjoy making fun of ourselves and Americans loved them before they love making fun of us too! These guys created the stereotype that is still perceived today. They sat around wearing heavy winter clothing, toque and all, which became a fad. The plaid shirts and puffball toques were seen in may crowds in the 80s. They drank beer, from the stubby bottle. Used words such as eh and hoser on a regular basis.

These guys were icons then and still now. They were used in ads,
stamps, clothing, shows, special events and so much more. They released 2 comedy albums and a movie (Strange Brew). Molson Canadian used Bob and Doug to launch an advertising campaign in the US. The Americans thought it was great, making fun of us, thought they had the upper hand. We loved it because Bob and Doug were being themselves.
Bob and Doug's twenty-fourth anniversary was recently released on DVD. It included many actors, Canadian and American, speaking of their memories and experiences with Bob and Doug on TV. A past Prime Minister even made an appearance to commemorate these characters. Bob and Doug helped build the stereotype that other countries hold of us and helped us make fun of ourselves, and play into the stereotype...even though some of it is true for most of us.



A classic for every Christmas.


Well there it is. I could go on and on but no real point. I encourage all those Canadians that have not seen the Two-Four anniversary to check it out! Keep it alive. Before writing my other topic...I need to take a Yoga break...

No comments: